If you are looking for some valuable information on the best Fish Finders under $500, then you are here at the right place. Let us first understand what exactly is a Fish Finder?
What is a Fish Finder?
Fish Finder is a device based on Sound Navigation and ranging system that is used to detect fish in the water. If you are really looking for catching fish on a large scale, then Fish finder is one of the best options for you.
The fish finders contain a screen either LCD or CRT screen that informs about the exact location of the fish in the water.
The oldest technology of finding fishes was initially used in the 90s era but the technology has advanced further and there are more devices based on latest technology to find the fish. Technologies like GPS, RADAR, and much more simplifies the process of finding fish.
Editors’ Choice: 2018’s Best Fish Finders Reviews And Comparison Chart
In our commitment to help you find top-notch fish finders that are both accurate and precise in navigation, we’ve come up with this list of the 5 best fish finders after more than 20 hours of intense work.
|Product Name||Measures Depth||Display||Ratings (1-5)|
|Raymarine Dragonfly 7 Pro|
(Our Top Pick)
|Garmin Echo 551dv||701m||5 inches||4.7|
|Humminbird HELIX 5|
|Garmin Striker 7SV||700m||7 inches||4.4|
|Humminbird 698ci HD||457m||5 inches||4.5|
Let us now look at the review of some of the popular fish finders that customers have appreciated so far, here we go…
This unit is almost similar to its predecessor version and the only difference is in its bigger display screen and Wi-Fi connectivity.
CHIRP technology is the major highlight of this model. It allows SONAR waves to cover wider area of frequency and bring clear images.
This Raymarine Dragonfly 7 Pro with US Navionics comes along with a transducer and a US Navionics. Its 7-inches display screen allow you to see finest of details with perfect clarity.
- Trackback feature includes that keeps a record of the previous way-points.
- Integrated GPS for faster navigation.
- Portable device can be easily carried from one location to another.
- Its functionality is as simple as that of a phone.
- This model has amazing depth penetration of upto 900ft.
- Easy to assemble and use.
- NMEA port not included as a part of standard supply.
- In-built recording function not included. If you want to do the recording enable the Wi-Fish app.
One of the best Fish finders that displays advanced and scanned images both on a single horizontal and vertical screen. This unit gives one of the finest details about the fish and the images of the minor details of the boat.
Its 5-Inches Display screen gives sharp images and allow a fisherman to capture images from the shallow to deep water. Good range of cone angles help you to click the pictures around the boat.
- Ultrascroll feature provided to capture fish images at a very high speed.
- A-Scope features displays the fish in real-time. This means, fishes which pass through the transducer can be seen in the display screen.
- Water speed feature gives you an idea about the speed of the water.
- Amazing display quality.
- Great GPS system
- Easy to use.
- Although there is no prominent drawback of this unit but some people have complaint about the chart plotting.
Want to experience the 3D imaging quality in Fish finder, then Humminbird 409640-1 HELIX 5 SI Fish Finder is one of the best options for you.
Its 5-inches display screen gives you complete details about the exact location of the fish. You can go deeper and choose to hook the fish you want to hook.
4000W of Power is good enough to send the SONAR and receive the signals. There are multiple options provided by this fish finder. You can choose via drop-down menu.
- 3D-Image viewing is one of the best features to why this fish finder is amongst the best fish finders.
- The measurements are quite accurate.
- It is a must-to-carry fish finder for the people who love fishing in lakes.
- Works wonders upto 1500ft under water.
- This unit comes loaded with GPS system so you can easily track the fish.
- This is one of the best creations of technology that every fisherman would love to carry.
- Its quality is worth its price.
- Make sure you properly install the unit otherwise you won’t be able to take the accurate readings through this unit.
If you are already using a fish finder and aren’t satisfied with the one, then Garmin Striker 7SV Fish finder is a one-stop option for you.
If you love fishing but have a very hectic schedule and can’t go for fishing often, then you must buy this model to get an overwhelming experience. This model has been designed using latest technology so it easily fits every condition.
Auto gain technology used in the fish finder removes unwanted debris and clutter from the path and helps you to concentrate on the fishes. Long-battery life so you don’t have to take the pain of charging it unnecessarily.
- It is light in weight that makes easy for a fisherman to enjoy fishing without any fatigue.
- You can check the depth of the water and the temperature of the water using this model.
- Crystal-clear images allow you to see and watch every fish from the boat itself.
- Perfect unit for fishing kayaks and small boats.
- Easy to use device doesn’t need any professional assistance.
- Portable unit can be easily carried from one place to another.
- Comes equipped with applications that save your fishing results.
- Bluetooth connection fails at long-distances.
- No provision to check the water speed.
- You need to hold the device closer to get accurate results.
This Humminbird 698ci fish finder comes with TFT display screen size of 5-inches, 480H x 640V picture resolution. Along with LED Backlit screen which allows you to see the display in case of dim or low-light.
If display screen isn’t an issue and you want to buy some advanced fish finder, then this model is a perfect fit for you. This unit comes with three preset programmable buttons that allow you to save three of your favorite views for future.
- Can be used by professionals as well.
- Comes loaded with GPS tracker.
- Transducer has capacity of going down upto 1500ft to find the fish
- This fish finder is quite easy to install as everything comes under standard packaging list.
- This unit can be easily mounted on your boat so that you can catch the fish without any hassle.
- One of the best fish finders of Humminbird series
- GPS system is accurate
- Comes loaded with features for professional use.
- Doesn’t support all of the features that were supported by its predecessors.
How to Select a Right Fish Finder?
There are chances that you find yourself completely perplexed with the signals. At that point of time, you will think of things to consider before buying the right fish finder.
We have come up with some of the useful parameters that you should check before investing your hard-earned money in buying Fish Finder.
Display screen is one of the biggest factors to consider while buying a fish finder. It can be colored or Black and white. You need to buy a fish finder that has large display screen so that you can easily check the details of the fish in the water.
However, 7 inches display screen is a good size but if it is a GPS combo unit, you can go for 10 inches size in order to view the images with crystal-clear clarity. Better resolution means better picture quality.
Transducers is the main point of consideration. Transducer is a device used to send and receive Sonar wave’s signals. Transducer fitted inside the device send sonar wave in the water and bounces off when it strikes any object or fish in the water. This sonar wave is converted to a picture containing details about the location of fish and this picture can be seen in the display screen of the fish finder.
Frequency also plays a crucial role. Higher is the frequency, higher are the chances of getting more details so transducers with high frequency proves better than the ones with lower frequencies.
For deep water study, low frequencies of almost 50 KHz are considered best and for shallow water, high frequency of up to 200 KHz is required.
4. Portable or Fixed
Other parameters that you should consider is the portability or fixed Fish finder. Portable fish finder is light-in weight and can be easily carried from one place to another. Fixed Fish finders are heavy and need proper area of installation.
The Bottom Line
Above are the Top 5 fish finders under $500. You will still think, which one is the best fish finder? We have given a brief introduction of all of these models with their pros and cons. You can go through the details along with the comparison chart and buy the fish finder that best suits your needs and requirements.