Are you ready for your next weekend outdoor adventure? With the current social gathering restrictions in effect due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, carving out time to have some fun outdoors can be quite satisfying.
One great way to take advantage of the open air is through canoeing. Canoeing allows you to be closer to nature than most other activities. Being outside in nature can significantly lower your stress levels, improve your aerobic fitness, and help you sleep better.
Of course, for the best canoeing experience, you need the right pair of shoes. Below, we list our picks for the top 5 best shoes for canoeing to help you find the right shoes for your canoeing adventure.
What Are the Best Shoes for Canoeing?
Water shoes are essential for protecting your feet from cold water and moisture when canoeing. The ideal canoeing shoes combine style, performance, and a little bit of comfort to keep your feet warm during colder weather.
A good canoeing shoe will also need a strong and stable grip so you can keep your footing while getting in and out of the canoe, as well as traversing rocks and other slick surfaces.
With that in mind, here are our picks for the 5 best shoes for canoeing.
These RAX aqua shoes are great for kayaking and canoeing. This multi-purpose shoe is ideal for anyone who loves outdoor activities. These amphibious shoes can be used for many different activities including fishing, canoeing, kayaking, and hiking.
The shoes are made with quick-dry material to give you a more comfortable outdoor experience. They also include a triangular hole on the side of the sole for draining water out quickly and enhancing air ventilation.
The quick-dry properties are further enhanced by a hollow insole that provides good permeability.
These shoes are great for protecting your feet against blisters and sores when canoeing. They feature a high-density cushioned EVA midsole that helps improve stability and protect your toes from sharp rocks, as well as a mesh upper that keeps your feet cool.
The most notable feature of the RAX aqua shoes is the quick-dry capability, which is due to the lightweight construction materials and innovative water drainage system.
- Weight: 1.35 pounds
- Size: 9.5 x 8.7 x 4.1 inches
- Color: Black, grey
- Main material: Quick-dry rubber
- Outsole: Rubber with polygon lugs
- Midsole: High-density EVA
- Upper: Mesh
- Toe protection: Rubber and TPU wrap
- Best for: Canoeing on vacation
- Amphibious function so you can use the shoe for multiple purposes
- Hole on the sole and quick-dry material keep your feet dry
- Excellent ventilation
- Toe wrapped with TPU and rubber for extra protection
- Rubber outsole is wear-resistant with antiskid polygon lugs
- Easy fastener keeps the shoes from flying off
- Triangular design plus high-density EVA boost damping and improve stability
- Mesh upper promotes airflow to your feet
- Does not fit that well
- Limited color options
These lightweight shoes dry extremely fast (within about 30 minutes of being submerged in water). In addition, the bottom has 11 drainage holes that discharge water from the shoes quickly and efficiently to get your feet dry in no time.
These shoes are easy to put on and take off. An elastic neck and adjustable drawstrings make it extra easy to loosen and tighten these shoes. They also fit well without loosening and can stay on your feet without tightening.
More importantly, the shoes are equipped with a small foam insole and an anti-collision toe guard, which helps protect your feet when in the water and doing other activities.
Generally, users are attracted to these shoes because of their lightweight design, comfort, and extra traction. Plus, they are ideal for both men and women.
- Weight: 10.23 ounces
- Size: 11.02 x 3.94 x 2.36 inches
- Color: Black-a, black-b, black-d, black-e, grey-a, grey-b, grey-d, grey-e, blue-a, blue-d, blue-e, red-e, rose red-e, purple-e, green-e, yellow-e, brown-a, light pink, pink-e
- Outsole: Durable rubber
- Insole: Soft breathable material
- Lacing: Elastic lace design
- Best for: Canoeing in the summer
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Flexible, breathable mesh upper
- Thick, durable rubber sole with anti-slip properties
- 11 drainage holes allow water to drain out of the shoes quickly
- Easy to put on and off
- Comfortable enough for casual walks and short strolls
- The tread is excellent for slick boards and pebble trails
- Insole has some cushion and a little arch support
- Minimalist design is light and unobtrusive
- Could use more ankle support
- Sole is not padded enough
- Sand can enter through the holes
Speedo Men’s Seaside Lace 5.0 Athletic is one of the best all-purpose water shoes in its price range. The Lace 5.0 is the successor of the highly-rated Seaside Lace Up 4.0 Athletic that was discontinued by Speedo.
Thanks to the simple construction and comfort of these water shoes, you can canoe all day with tremendous convenience. Furthermore, the shoe utilizes the bungee lacing system synonymous with its predecessor, the Lace Up 4.0, which makes it easy to put on and take off.
Speedo has also updated the S-TRAC TPR outsole, enhancing your slip resistance by streaming water away from the shoe.
Like others on this list, this water shoe is designed to dry quickly. The breathable mesh on the side helps to accelerate the drainage process.
The best feature about these water shoes is the lightweight synthetic fabrics and rubberized S-Trac outsole that controls water flow and improves traction to keep you from slipping.
- Weight: 11 ounces
- Size: 13 x 6 x 4 inches
- Color: Black, bone white/ insignia blue
- Outsole: S-TRAC TPR
- Insole: Synthetic material
- Upper: Breathable mesh
- Lacing: Bungee closure
- Best for: All-purpose outdoor sports
- S-trac TPR outsole for dispersing water flow
- Breathable mesh upper and webbing lacing overlays enhance airflow
- Quick-adjusting bungee strap
- Breathable mesh upper promotes air flow
- Lightweight design provides comfort
- Quick-drying properties and features
- Bungee cord helps secure the shoes when they feel loose
- Lovely coordinating colors
- Rubber inner sole dries quickly
- Sand can get in through the mesh
- Only comes in full sizes
- Not designed for walking long distances on rough terrain
- Could use more arch support
This shoe resolves several problems common to water shoes including the issue of sand accumulating in the lining, slippery rocks getting stuck in the soles, and lack of support. They are also stylish and supportive without being clumpy.
The shoes have efficient drainage holes with mono-mesh screens that prevent rocks from becoming embedded in the soles. The EVA midsole drainage system helps remove water from your shoes while canoeing.
This water shoe is perfect for wearing during rainy weather thanks to odor-busting mesh uppers that make the shoes incredibly breathable. Similarly, there is a wet traction outsole to help give you a firm footing on slippery surfaces.
The EXTS (Exploration Trax System) is a unique outsole system that provides amazing traction on uneven terrain, and a special lug design for enforcing support.
Arguably the most remarkable feature of these breathable water shoes is the midsole drainage system, which helps to dry the shoes quickly and efficiently.
- Weight: 1.5 pounds
- Size: 12.4 x 7.8 x 4.3 inches
- Color: Spackle grey/zinc grey, agave green/military olive, spackle gray, tnf white
- Outsole: EXTS outsole traction system
- Insole: Perforated footbed
- Midsole: EVA
- Upper: Antimicrobial mesh
- Footwear closure: Bungee lace-up
- Footwear height: Ankle
- Best for: Canoeing and exploring
- EVA midsole drainage system removes water from the shoe during water activities
- Lightweight, quick-drying antimicrobial mesh upper for fighting odor
- Mono-mesh screens allow water out while preventing debris from entering shoe
- Rubber grip sole provides excellent traction on slippery surfaces and rocky terrain
- Lightweight construction promotes comfort and easier mobility
- Perforated footbed supplies arch support and conforms to the shape of your foot
- Difficult to put on and off
- Not fit to size
These are an excellent pair of water shoes for water sports such as kayaking and canoeing. With 90 percent of the construction being lightweight fabric, the shoes provide excellent footing and surprisingly decent shock absorption.
You can remove the insole for cleaning, and even wear the shoes without the insert if you prefer.
In addition to being extremely light, these shoes tend to drain by themselves, thanks to their unique drainage holes and breathable upper with open mesh that creates a cooler environment for quick drying and superior breathability.
Users have praised the shoes for their incredible drying capability. Even when you stay in the water for long periods, the shoes dry almost immediately when you come out. This feature helps keep your feet safe from moisture-related damage and infections.
The shoes are particularly good for wet and slippery conditions. They are designed with a decent water grip outsole that provides excellent traction. The anti-slip rubber sole can also protect your feet while enhancing comfort and stability.
One of the features that sets the Zhuanglin Women’s Water Shoes apart is their ComforDry sock liner technology, which facilitates a healthy environment for your feet in cold water temperatures. Moreover, the shoes are available in a wide variety of colors, so you can choose one that best fits your personality.
- Weight: 7.04 ounces
- Size: 9.6 x 9.2 x 3.2 inches
- Color: 8521 black, black, black white 18155, black 18155, blue, dark grey, dark grey 18155, dark blue, light green, light grey, light grey 18155, moonlight 18155, navy 18155, orange red, orange yellow, peach red, pink, pink orange, pink orange 18155, purple, purple 18155, red, yellow, black white, blue, white, blue moon
- Outsole: Water grip
- Insole: Rubber insert
- Midsole: Solyte
- Upper: Open mesh
- Best use: Water-based activities
- Drainage holes and open mesh promote quick drying and breathability
- ComforDry sock liner creates a cooler, healthier, and drier shoe environment
- Water Grip outsole offers excellent traction in wet and slippery conditions
- Exceptionally light midsole provides great bounce-back ability and durability
- Durable, breathable mesh upper allows your feet to breathe
- Enhanced cushioning provides for a cool and dry experience
- Secure on your feet so all-day walking is easy
- Sturdy enough for rock climbing so you don’t get your feet poked
- Wet rocks or pebbles can wedge up in the drainage holes
- Do not keep out sand
- Material could be slightly thicker
Buyer’s Guide: Best Shoes for Canoeing
These canoeing shoes are great for both beginners and advanced water sports enthusiasts. They are all unique in their own way.
Generally, canoeing shoes should fit to size. They should also be extremely lightweight so they feel like part of your feet. This will allow you to wear them for longer periods of time without experiencing discomfort or getting blisters.
Here is our buyer’s guide to help you choose the best shoes for canoeing, depending on your needs.
Best water shoes for kayaking and canoeing: The RAX Water Shoes are the best shoes for kayaking and canoeing on vacation. They fit to size, dry quickly, and do not cause sores or blisters.
The mesh upper helps keep your feet cool so they don’t smell like stinky water. They are also versatile, which means you can use them for hiking and other outdoor sports besides canoeing.
Best water sandals for kayaking: The AFT AFFINEST Mens Womens Water Shoes are the best canoeing shoes for both men and women. These unisex water shoes are lightweight but extremely durable, so you can wear them all day under the sun without experiencing discomfort.
They are also budget-friendly, so you get a good bang for your buck.
Best all-purpose canoeing shoes: If you are looking for the best canoeing shoes for all sorts of outdoor activities, you should go for the Speedo Men’s Seaside Lace 5.0 Athletic.
The lightweight and quick-dry design of these shoes makes them great for canoeing, while the rigid S-trac outsole and secure bungee lacing system provide a tight fit, ensuring you do not slip when out of the water.
Best shoes for canoeing and exploring: Apart from canoeing, the North Face Skagit Water Shoe is also great for exploring. They are tight around the ankle to keep water, sand, and small rocks out, and they come with a solid sole that is excellent for running, hiking, and general outdoor exploration. This means you don’t have to change into a new pair of boots to explore your surroundings during your canoeing adventure.
Most stylish water shoes for canoeing: The Zhuanglin Women’s Quick Drying Aqua Water Shoes are probably the most stylish canoeing shoes. These shoes come in a wide variety of colors, so you can choose the one that suits your personality.
They also have spectacular features that provide maximum comfort when canoeing. This includes a breathable air mesh upper that facilitates quick drying and allows your feet to breathe, ComforDry sock liner technology for optimum cushioning performance, and an exceptionally lightweight Solyte midsole with impressive bounce-back capability.
Now you should have a pretty good idea of the best shoes for canoeing on the market. The main points we look for are good traction on slick surfaces and drainage capabilities to keep your feet dry during long days of canoeing. If you keep this in mind, you can’t go wrong.
We hope this guide can help you make the right decision when it comes to canoeing shoes. Good luck with your shopping and stay safe on your canoeing adventure!